We know that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously.
Most of the data we collect and hold about you is for the purpose of providing you with an energy system. We also use data to improve Haven’s products and services, and to help us advertise Haven.
To provide you with energy systems
We gather information about you and your home so we can accurately supply you with an energy system. For example, we need to know your address to supply the right property, and we need to know how much energy you use to properly size the system.
To make Haven better
We collect data on how you use our website, app and other features. We track things like where you click on our site and what features you use. This lets us learn what's working well and what features we need to improve.
We sometimes share this data in an aggregated form with agencies or partners that are helping us. For example, we might tell a telecommunications partner how many phone calls we get a week.
To advertise Haven
We use your data to help grow Haven and promote more renewable energy. If you're a customer of Haven, we share data with social media, search engines, and other advertising platforms so that we stop asking you to join Haven and instead show you content more relevant to you.
We also share aggregated data with third parties and service providers that help us with advertising. For example, we might share how many of our customers live in Los Angeles.
To communicate with you
In addition to sending you key information about your account by email, from time to time we'll also send you information about things we think will interest you. This includes letting you know how much carbon you're saving each year by being with Haven, updates on our referral program, and reminding you about how you can manage your energy system online.
Where necessary, we share your data with organizations that send communications on our behalf.
Information that we collect
Information you provide us at sign-up
- Contact information: such as your name, address, email address, date of birth and telephone number.
- Household information: the type and size of your home and how much energy you use
- Vulnerability information: such as disabilities, age, or health conditions for you or a member of your household. This helps us provide suitable additional services.
- Identifiable information: Such as social security number or driver's license number. We may use this information to run a soft credit check. This information is protected by encryption. We restrict access to your social security number to our employees or service providers who have a need to use your social security number to run the credit checks. We delete your social security number from our systems (and direct our service providers to delete your social security number) after the credit check is run/etc.
- Financial information: such as your payment details and financial circumstances. We need your bank details if you want to pay by debit or credit card or by ACH.
- Energy device identifiers: for example, the serial number of the battery in your energy device.
Information while we provide you services
- Information about your energy supply: such as your meter number and meter type. This ensures we link you with the right meter and keep industry databases accurate.
- Energy you use: such as details of your energy usage. If you have a smart meter (also known as an advanced metering system) we will take consumption data directly from your meter in line with the consents you have given us. We need details of your energy usage so we can send you accurate information.
- Energy you generate: details of energy you generate under Net Metering plans. We need this information so we can accurately calculate any payments due to you.
- Smart meter information: if you have a smart meter it will transmit data that lets us know that it is safe and operating and recording correctly.
- Customer service data: when you get in touch by phone, email, chat or community posts we monitor, record and review those communications so we can provide the best possible service to you.
Information we automatically collect
- Information provided by others.
- Affiliates and partners: when you sign-up with Haven through an affiliate or partner, we are sent your personal information from that partner so we can enter into a contract with you. The information we collect from such affiliates and partners include your address and contact information.
- Councils, postal services, and data brokers: information such as contact details, homemoving status and other details about your circumstances can be provided by councils, postal services and data brokers. We will always check that these organizations have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to share this information.
- Referrers: data such as your name and contact details may be provided to us by people referring you to Haven as part of our Referral Program. We may use this information to contact you in relation to becoming a Haven customer.
How we use this information
It's important that you understand what we'll do with the data that we hold about you, as well as the lawful reasons we are allowed to do this.
We may sometimes combine information that we collect from you with information we obtain about you from third parties and affiliates and information derived from any other subscription, product, or service we may provide.
We use the information we hold about you for the following purposes:
Performing our contract with you
We need to process information in order to supply you with an energy storage system and the services you've asked for under our contract. For example, we may use your information (such as your contact information) to file a permit to have your energy system installed.
Fulfilling our legal and regulatory obligations
We may also need to disclose your personal information to comply with applicable laws, regulations, and court orders, or disclose information to entities including, but not limited to, law enforcement agencies, public utilities, consumer reporting agencies, energy assistance agencies, or the transmission and distribution utilities. Additionally, we may disclose your personal information to protect or enforce our rights, or to protect the rights or safety of others.
Taking your smart meter readings with your consent
If you have a smart meter, we'll normally collect readings from your smart meter about your energy consumption. As an example, we could use your smart meter readings to understand how you use your energy. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to withdraw this consent.
For our legitimate business interests
This means that using your information is necessary for us to build our business and provide our services to you. We consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. Our legitimate interests include:
- Maintaining and improving our services: for example, we may use your information that we obtain through your emails and calls to train our team. We may also use your information to ensure that our services are working as intended – for example, understanding which parts of the website are easiest to use. We may also contact you for suggestions on how we can improve the way we provide our services to you.
- Providing personalized services.
- Providing personalized advertising: we may let advertising platforms like Facebook and Google know that you are a customer of Haven by sharing your contact details with them. This means we can stop asking you to sign up with Haven once we’ve installed an energy system, and instead share information with you that we think you might be interested in.
- Communicating with you about our services: we may contact you about news related to Haven, product updates and new products that we think you might be interested in. We may also contact you to provide you with offers, competitions, marketing materials and other promotional materials, both online and through other marketing channels, such as third party social networks, like Facebook.
- Measuring our performance and developing new services: for example, we use data for measurement to understand how our services are used. We also use aggregated data to understand our customers and their energy usage better. This helps us develop offerings such as an annual impact report.
- Helping to prevent and detect fraud or unpaid invoices: we also need to be able to detect and prevent fraud and recover unpaid invoices.
Sharing your information
When we share your information
We sometimes need to allow our service providers, third parties, or affiliates to process personal information we hold about you on our behalf for the reasons set out in this Policy or as otherwise required by law.
We make sure that these third parties won't use your personal data for their own purposes and we only permit them to use it in accordance with our instructions and the law. This includes the following types of organizations:
- Design, engineering, and installation companies: we need to share information like your home size, where you would like the battery installed, and your electrical configuration with our partners that will perform the work to install your battery.
- Payment providers: we work with payment providers to process your payments. We use Stripe to process your ACH, debit card, and credit card payments. You can find more information on how these providers process your personal data and your data protection rights by looking at their privacy policies at the links above.
- Marketing agencies, search engines and social media networks: to advertise Haven and to gather feedback on Haven such as through customer surveys. To opt-out of marketing communications you can email us at email@example.com.
- People you have authorized us to share data with: such as family members, energy brokers, solicitors and debt management companies, so we can fulfill your requirements.
- Market regulators: such as the California Independent System Operator or the Public Utility Commission of Texas and consumer protection organizations where we are obliged to do so under regulations.
- Other affiliates: if you have signed-up to Haven via an affiliate link, we then provide the affiliate with your personal data such as your email address, only to the extent that we can fulfill a contract you have requested.
- We may share information collected from your smart meter with our affiliates, service providers, or other third parties for the purpose of providing you electric utility service or other services you may request.
- Credit reference agencies (such as Experian): We may tell credit reference agencies how you're managing your account and whether you owe us money. These agencies can help us trace you if you have moved and we owe you money or you owe us money. More information is set out in Experian's Credit Reference Agency Information Notice.
- People you are referring to Haven: if you refer a new customer to us, we may share your name and aggregated data about your energy use with the referred person.
You can find more information on how these providers process your personal information by looking at their respective privacy policies.
You're in control
If we collect or handle your personal data, under certain circumstances you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you:
- To correct or update your personal information, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To delete your personal information, you can email us at email@example.com. We may delete any information that we no longer need to hold, but we won't always be required to do this. For example, we may need to hold your information to continue to provide you with energy services under our contract. If this is the case, we'll explain why.
- To confirm if we are using your personal information or get access to all your personal information that we hold, in an easy to understand, portable and secure format, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Subject Access Request".
- To object to the processing of your personal information, you can email us at email@example.com.
- To withdraw consent to process your data, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
- To opt-out of marketing communications you can email us at email@example.com.
Keeping your information secure
While we cannot ensure or guarantee that unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or loss of information will never occur, we work hard to help prevent it. In particular:
- We use encryption to help keep your data private while in transit.
- Your account information is protected for your privacy and security with a password you have chosen or you can log-in to your account directly with your email address. Haven and our agents will never ask for your password.
- To help keep your account and your personal information secure you should not disclose your password details to anyone. You should also make sure your Haven account password is different from your email address password. We recommend you change your passwords from time to time.
- We review our practices for collecting, processing and storing personal information, including appropriate physical security measures, to help guard against unauthorized access to systems and backups to help prevent the loss of information. We will continue to enhance our security procedures as new technology becomes available.
- We restrict access to personal information wherever possible to people who need to know that information to process it and who are subject to contractual confidentiality requirements.
Retaining and holding your information
We keep the personal information we collect for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which we collected it or to otherwise protect our legal interests or meet our legal obligations.
The length of time depends on the purposes for which we use it, or otherwise to meet our legal obligations.
You can get in touch about anything in this Policy by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use essential cookies to make sure our website works properly. They help you to log in, navigate around and use our online features. You can’t opt out of essential cookies. We use optional cookies to measure the site’s performance and deliver relevant information about Haven.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies: Some cookies are strictly necessary to make our website available to you; for example, to perform your login functionality and for user authentication and security. We cannot provide you with the website without this type of cookie.
- Functional cookies: These are used to recognize you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name and remember your account preferences.
- Retargeting cookies: These cookies remember that you have visited a website and share this information with organizations we have asked to do so on our behalf. This enables us to serve you with advertising when you are visiting other sites (for example, to remind you about products and Services you were interested in, or to inform you of special offers and discounts). We use third-party retargeting service providers, such as Facebook, to do so.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website.
About this Policy
When this Policy applies:
For the purposes of this Policy, "we", "us", "our" and "Haven"means Haven Energy, Inc and other companies in the same group. Unless otherwise stated, Haven is the Data Controller for your personal data.
This Policy applies to how we use your information in relation to our products and services generally.
This Policy doesn't apply to other companies' sites that you get to through our website or social media pages. So make sure you've read their policy before putting your personal information on their site.
Changes to this Policy:
We may change this Policy at any time. If we make any changes, we'll post them on this page. If they're substantive changes, we'll also have a more prominent notice letting you know. You can also email or write to us for a physical copy.
Last updated: The Policy was last updated on March 17, 2023